Thursday, September 23, 2010

Black Boy



:: I pulled this book off of the shelf because of its cover. Yes, I am very guilty of this, but I've given up defending myself. I think secretly everyone does it, but because someone came up with a catchy phrase people think it is wrong. That phrase should only be used metaphorically, okay, people?
Everything about the exterior of Black Boy makes it the perfect book, in my opinion. A catchy cover, the perfect thickness, the right size, paperback....
Inside, it's not so bad either.
For some reason, this has been the kind of book that's hard to pick up again once you lay it down. There's not that excitement that makes me want to be completely immersed in the story and wish for spare moments when I can read more of it. That tiny flaw aside, let's just say that Richard Wright can write!



It's not so much the words he uses as the tone he sets with the words he uses. Get it?
It is an interesting story and you can't help but wonder what this little spit-fire named Richard is going to get into next. From setting the house on fire to getting drunk in saloons at the age of six, he is definitly an interesting character.

Still far from the end, but I'll keep you posted.

Have you read this book before? What did you think?



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails