Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Favorite Reads

Personally, I think the phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is one of the dumbest things anybody has ever said. (Unless you are speaking figuratively, then that's a different story). But really, why shouldn't we judge books by their covers. If someone has sat down to create masterpieces with words then surely they could take some time to put a worthy cover on their book. A good cover is, of course, a simple matter of opinion. Still, I am genuinely disappointed when I see books with sad covers sitting on the shelf. So, here are a few of my all-time favorite reads with their not-so-shabby covers.

Love Walked In :: Marisa de los Santos
           Winner of my "All-Time-Favorite-Book-Ever-In-The-World" award.

Belong to Me :: Marisa de los Santos
      The sequel to Love Walked In. Runs a close second as far as absolute favorites go.

Water for Elephants :: Sara Gruen
 The movie is suppose to be coming out soon starring Reese Witherspoon. I'm excited! Please let it be as good as the book!

Seabiscuit :: Laura Hillenbrand
I've read this one at least seven or eight times and it can still hold my attention. The best non-fiction book I've ever read.

To Kill A Mockingbird :: Harper Lee
I love the cover on this classic. I searched high and low for this specific one. Favorite part:
[Scout is recounting what happened the night she and Jem were attacked in the woods by Bob Ewell] "Somebody was staggerin' around and pantin' and coughing fit to die. I thought it was Jem at first, but it didn't sound like him...I thought Atticus had come to help us and had got wore out--"
"Who was it?"
"Why there he is, Mr. Tate, he can tell you his name."
As I said it, I half pointed to the man in the corner, but brought my arm down quickly lest Atticus reprimand me for pointing. It was impolite to point.
       When I pointed to him his palms slipped slightly, leaving greasy sweat streaks on the wall, and he hooked his thumbs in his belt. A strange small spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate, but as I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbor's image blurred with my sudden tears.
      "Hey, Boo," I said.

You have to know the general story to understand the last line, but to me "Hey, Boo" is the best line in all of literature.

A Mighty Heart :: Mariane Pearl

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo :: Stieg Larsson
An exception to the rule. This is the only book that I have ever bought that I hadn't already read and that (in my opinion) did not have a really good cover. It pays off to break your own rules sometimes, I suppose.
P.S. The sequel is turning out to be another good one as well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails